Friday 16 November 2007

I love Toronto

toronto_at_night-toronto.jpg On any given night there's an absolute plethora of art events happening! Kevin and I saw three completely different gallery showings- two by accident. The first was a composite of 5 varying themes brought to life with graphite and paper. If I could sum up the artists work in one word- it would be fluidity. The artist captured the movements of fabric and body whether they were jumping or underwater it's not clear- but the fine use of chiaroscuro was. After we realized this wasn't the show we had gone to see we set out again, not realizing that first stop was only a preamble to the nights festivities! We happened by the next stop on pure luck- the designers were outside having a smoke and beckoned us in. I imagine we were looking like stylish people who could afford thousand dollar dresses-(dream #87 come true!) Soo, we lifted our chins a notch and waltzed in. Ever notice how much more confident you feel with loud clicking heels? I do. And immediately the first thing I see is this: Gorgeous Neclace This night's picking up! It was paired with an atached nude tank and a green pencil skirt. It stuck me as a modernized version of an ensemble for 'Eve'. Can you see it too? It's so simple- yet elegant. When you break it down it's just roving thats been twisted at intervals looped round, embellished with pearls and fabric stocking gloves covering wooden balls. I'd love to wear it, but I fear I'd come out looking like Simba. We scooped up some truffles, blackberries and blueberries and made our awkward-not-buying-anything-but-eating-their-food exit. We finally get to the intended gallery showing and it's much more scenester. I'd give it a 7 out of 10, -1 point for no fiber content, -1 for redcap beer, -1 for the lady who kept farting beside me. The artwork itself was all mixed mediums- video, painting, fashion design, photography and poetry. How I wish I had $350 to spend on art. I met a painter- Beth (Adam Parishil's new roommate), wholooks like Lindsay Lohan but 10x better and her boyfriend looks like Colin Farrell. But I digress.... Alpaca in progress Last year I knit Kevin quite possibly my finest beanie to date but the top knot had come undone from too much wear. Before repairs Last night I presented him with the refurbished beanie. Made from 100% baby alpaca it's divinity comes from the blending of form and function. It's a simple cable rib pattern that anyone can dream up, but one that is timeless and chosen again and again for a reason. It just looks great! I wanted this knit to be very fine quality so I chose a needle (2mm) small enough that the stitch definition would pop. I made this so it would sit on inline with his eyebrow freckle. (hello! neurotic much?) Chowsa Baby Alpaca Beanie Turns out Kev prefers to wear his hats off the forehead. (Note to self, note to Jules) I also did a different closure than normal, instead of stringing the remaining 8-10 stitches together, I decreased to 6sts remaining and cast off using the 1 over method and then knotted the stitch a few times. Crown shapings This baby's not coming undone again. playin with the macro "emo time"

4 comments:

Ashley said...

oooo..beanie love!

And clicking heels....makes for a great strut!

chookie said...

I can definitely see the oufit - very old school beautiful glam.

Re: the beanie hole, I have that issue too. I find that if I do the cast off/thread through too tightly, I end up with some puckering so I usually leave it a little loose. Of course, 3 wears down the track, the hole is starting to gape so I always have to go back an reinforce. BOO.

Sophie said...

WOW I' really impressed with the view ! I hope Toronto would not be so far from Quebec so I could show in your city and explore all the yarn shops... *dreaming*.

erica-knits said...

oh I miss Toronto so much! That necklace is beautiful, and the hat, nice work.