Friday 16 December 2011

FO: Cabled Canuck

DSC_1610-4  

Pattern: Cabled Canuck

Yarn: Tanis Fiber Arts Green label in 'Sand'

Mods: None.

Notes: I haven't done cables in ages, so I forgot how much fun they are! This hat was a perfect little hit of cabled goodness- the design is interesting, the cables are fantastic, and the design is classic.

DSC_1612-5

Also, these photos were all taken in our underground parking garage. It's so hard to find good lighting this time of year, because it's pitch black by 5 p.m., and G suggested we try the well-lit parking garage. It worked out great!No more waiting for the weekend, trying to get just the right light... the parking garage was perfect, even if it was a bit boring. But G decided to jazz up the photos by trying some lomo and black and white effects. We're both excited by the discovery of this new 'studio', and thinking of ways to make the most of it over the winter!

DSC_1607-2

Why yes, I am wearing my Velvet Morning cardigan!

Nathalie has tagged me with the Versatile Blogger Award! Thanks so much!

The rules are:
1. Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass this award along to recently discovered blogs you enjoy reading.
4. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.

If anyone wishes to join in, please consider yourself tagged! Let me know if you post, so I can go and read your post, too! So, seven random things about me:

1.  I was a vegetarian for 16 years, from the ages of 12-28, totally by my own choice. My reasons for starting were as arbitrary as my reasons for going back to meat, and sometimes I regret it... not because meat isn't damn tasty (it totally is), but because it is fraught with so many more environmental and ethical issues. So I don't eat it every day, and I buy local/organic/antibiotic free meat. it's more expensive, but it eases my conscience when I think of those poor chickens/pigs/cows/bison/rabbits. Yeah, when I fell off the veggie truck, I fell hard.

2. Every time I move, I totally cry over losing my old place. Even if there lots of reasons to leave the place, I get really attached to physical spaces. It breaks my heart to think I'll never live there again.

3. I have an unfortunate habit of seeing comedies in movie theatres, finding something mildly funny uproariously funny, and then while everyone else in the theatre has had a polite chuckle, I'm howling with laughter, tears steaming down my face, and then I laugh even harder because I'm aware I'm the only one still laughing and that's even funnier.

4. I love peanut butter more than any other food on the planet. I call it my best friend.

5. No matter that I know about the holidays every year, I find it so hard to get my head around the sheer volume of shopping and gift giving. Every year I tell myself that I'll do a handmade Christmas and make gifts for everyone; every year I totally fail.

6. I hate shoe shopping. I'm one of the few women on the planet who is not interested in shoes beyond a practical, can't-go-walking-in-bare-feet sort of thing.  I actually buy different versions of black flats and wear them almost exclusively all year long. I do have a couple other colours of flats, but it's pretty boring in my shoe closet, let me tell you.

7. Despite this lack of shoe interest, I love fashion magazines, and my favourite is the UK edition of Glamour. Total brain candy, but I love it.  There are so many clothing retailers over there that we don't have here, and I'm fascinated.


That's 7! remember, if you participate, send me a message and let me know!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Parking garage as photography studio, I never would have guessed it! Loved learning 7 new things about you. I want to go see a comedy in theaters with you, I'm sure it would be lot of fun!

erin said...

I love it! it's a perfect, neutral color too =)

Ula Zygadlewicz said...

Świetna czapka!

CelticCastOn said...

Love those pics! I was trying to figure out what it was to the right of you in the first picture.. now I know :)
I know you have a Nikon but wondered what lense you use with it?
I agree with the Brit fashion. When we first moved her my grandparents would bring me a wack of clothes over, the fashion was always ahead of North America so I always had the cool clothes before everyone else did :)

polkaknits said...

Pictures are stunning! The cable hat is really nice but those pictures makes it look soo good!
I don't eat meat for couple of years and I'm still happy with it- I feel it's good for my body.
xo
Paula

Jacey said...

The hat is awesome. Cables are awesome. And peanut butter is my best friend, also. ;)

I love the lomo-esque shots. You are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Hat looks great on you! Makes me want to knit one :)

Anonymous said...

Love the hat! You are so lucky to have that parking garage. Our sun is set by 4 PM here in Maine and it's awful trying to find good lighting to get nice FO shots in the winter. Also, you are not alone when it comes to shoes. I've never been into shoe shopping... just give me something I can get around in and I'm happy. :)

Gilda Knits said...

lovin that hat, too.

I was a veggie turned meat eater. I was a bad, bad veggies. I ate mostly chips. Bad, bad.

And you know what? I love that you are the laugher in the theatre. I always want to belt out my laughs, but I always contain myself. One of these days, I'm gonna let it roar in the theatre. And laugh that I am laughing :D Love that thought!

Evelyn said...

Love the cables and the hat design is so flattering. Congrats on the award ... I agree that peanut butter is the perfect food and as for gift giving this year, the majority of my presents will be home-made and I'm loving making them. Go for it, Julie!!

Zenitude said...

Love the photos...garage setting totally works!
That hat is perfect on you.
It was fun to read the 7 things about you...I decided to join in as well.
You can have a look here
http://woolyknitsnbits.blogspot.com/2011/12/moving-along.html

Unknown said...

I love this hat! It looks adorable on you!

Anonymous said...

haha, I can so relate to that shoe thing. I dont understand the shoe frenzy that most ladies have. I just use them cause the alternative is going barefoot, and thats not an option for me.

Vergangenheitshang said...

Pretty pictures, pretty hat! :)

The Sexy Knitter said...

Loving that b&w shot! You look gorgeous as always - you're like the magical pregnancy unicorn! (Sorry, heard that in a movie preview last night & couldn't resist.) :)

Congrats on the GIRL news! That's so exciting!

Kitty Couture said...

Beautiful hat - this neutral colour looks amazing on you (then again, I've never seen anything yet that doesn't look amazing on you! ;)).

Nat at Made in Home said...

I cna finally get on your blog. had loads of problems recently... Not sure what tat was about! I love your cabled hat.. Gret pictures as well! And interesting 7 facts about you :)

Rachel said...

That hat is beautiful...and how impressive a parking garage provides the location for such gorgeous pictures! Loved learning more about you...you sound like a very fun person to go to the movies with! And I'm with you on the shoe thing. I have work shoes, a pair of sneakers, a pair of black 'dress' shoes and that's basically it. Never could understand the fascination with shoes! Hope you have a happy holiday season...I'll be back to your space in the new year!

Anonymous said...

cute! what a great cabled hat! also, definitely gender neutral... i'm always in the market for those!

Maryse said...

Beautiful hat! It must be fun to knit and it looks so good! Can't wait to start Year in Color 2012 with TFA yarn!

Teresa said...

I wonder how common this crying over moving thing is, because I happen to have it too.
I'm intrigued by your new photography studio! Great idea. While I love me some winter, it's, as you say, not particularly conducive to great photo-taking!