Wednesday 12 September 2007

Designer Knits- they are asking for it....

I, like many who have gone before me, have fallen in love with a stupidly expensive sweater:
This is a $650 (US) Burberry sweater. That's right, they are charging $650 for garter stitch. But as you know, being a knitter means you've been behind the curtain at Oz, you know how the whole thing works. So I did what any sane knitter would do- I took that obscenely expensive sweater into the change room,whipped out my measuring tape, and made a lot of notes, very quickly:
The xs size stats are as follows:
- Length: 18.5", Bust: 31", Sleeve: 12", Waist: 29"
- Gauge: 6sts/inch (body), 7sts/inch (mandarin collar)
- Belt is a 1"-wide tube of stockinette, pressed flat. belt loops are also stockinette, sewn on.
- 2" high mandarin collar
- Edges of front panels have slipped stitch edges
- Hem has some sort of tublar cast on
- Buttons are 3" apart
- Raglan sleeves

It gets it's cuddly softness from being a squishy 70% alpaca/30% silk blend. What do you guys think? Did I miss anything in my stats gathering?

7 comments:

Farrah said...

I don't see a thing you missed- you even remembered to measure the spaces between the buttons! I really, really want to see you make this- it will be a knitting coup!

Susan said...

You get the measurements right and you can count me in too. We'll all be wearing $650 handmade jackets for the price of yarn, buttons, and late nights with needles. lol

Lisa D. said...

Ooh, lovely!! Smart girl. Did you check how the raglan or arm shaping was done? Also, is there any waist shaping or detail under the belt? That is a gorgeous sweater, but I see no need to spend $650 on it when you could make it easily yourself. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress - maybe I'll make one for myself!

Team Knit said...

The raglan sleeves are pretty floppy, but I forgot to take a look at how the shaping was done! I'll have to go back and take another look (I hope it's a different shop assistant this time!)

I ordered the yarn for this yesterday, so when it comes in I'll be doing a swatch and begin the process of figuring out the cardi. And I'm glad others are interested in the process- I think I'll need some help for some of the more tricky parts!

Nettie said...

Your like a knitting secret agent!

Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful! I love it.

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in that jacket too. One because it's awesome and two because it's $650.