Saturday 16 June 2007

Dashing, out of Season

Even though it's summer and really not practical, may I present Dashing, from the Spring 2007 issue of Knitty.

These are a gift for someone (now a friend of ours, but then a remote friend-of-a-friend) we met under strange circumstances that also include the story of how Jen and I got the name Team Knit (it wasn't cooked up just for the blog), but we'll tell that story another time. Anyway, the pertinent details of Dashing involve being in the hotel bar at the Holiday Inn in Boardman, Ohio, and our new friend saw me wearing a pair of hand warmers I made from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. He wanted a pair, but with a thumb. I may have had a lot to drink that night and agreed to knit something for someone I had only met an hour earlier (boy, do I ever keep to my word or what?!). Coincidentally enough, Dashing came out in the new Knitty a couple weeks after that.

I was bored witless knitting them, but EVERY guy that saw me knitting these wanted a pair. They wanted to try them on, they wanted to touch them, even guys who don't normally wear gloves like these. I really dragged my heels on this project, because I was in the mood for something more stimulating, pattern-wise, and all that ribbing bored the hell out of me. But for a quick low-key knit, these were perfect.
These are being modelled by our kind co-worker Jonathan, hours before I packaged them up and shipped them to Team Knit's friend in California.

1 comments:

Team Knit said...

wow, i didn't think those photos would come out so well !