Wednesday 15 May 2013

15 in 15: Wardrobe Remix Project

Eliza, the knitterly queen of wardrobe remixes, is having a spring wardrobe remix of 15 in 15: that's 15 pieces from your wardrobe, remixed for 15 days, with no outfit duplication. And it starts today.


Post-baby, I've been overhauling my wardrobe and trying to find  a sort of effortlessly stylish 'uniform' for myself, that would make it easy for me to get dressed in the morning and feel good about how I look all day long. So I've decided that my uniform is:
- cardigans
-jeans/dark pants
- flats in the summer, boots in the winter
- easy dresses
- tops with interesting details

The idea being that it simplifies getting dressed: grab a top, cardigan, throw on some pants and some flats. Done! Doesn't that sound easy? Doesn't easy sound so good? Except there are gaps in my wardrobe. I had a big purge after the baby, since quite a bit of my wardrobe suddenly seemed a bit young (part of that is I turn 35 this year, not just because I had a baby), or just wasn't fitting as well as it could. I'm hoping that this will help me look at my wardrobe in a new light.

So, here are my pieces:
15 items:
1. jeans
2. black skinny cargos
3. black office pants
4. blue cardigan
5. green cardigan
6. black cardigan
7. multi coloured chevron top
8. black sandals (not pictured)
9. colourblock flats (not pictured)
10. black floral dress
11. floral chiffon blouse
12. black polka dot blouse

I'm three items short- I'm going to pick on the fly (and if it stays chilly, one of those items will be some boots). Maybe if I'm lucky it'll be three new things!And if I get bored with what I've picked, I'm counting on accessories to breathe new life into the mix. Update: It's chilly again today, so I've added in boots.

10 comments:

grandmastatus said...

Wow I wish I could participate in this but I wear a uniform at work.

katherinelynn_04 said...

I have an everyday 'uniform' which I love. It's dark wash jeans, this way as they're washed and lighten I have different shades; fitted t-shirt which I buy in all colors, except white; a scarf or shawl or cardigan, depending on the temperature; brown heeled boots in winter and flip flops in summer. I own other pieces that dress this up, like jewellery and sportcoats. But the basic foundation is almost always the same. I have other things in my wardrobe (fancy dresses, suits, sundresses) which come out as needed but this is the 'meat' of my wardrobe.

Voie de Vie said...

I like the basic color palette. It's definitely all about the accessories - accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. I'll look forward to seeing what you put together in the next 15 days.

Monica said...

Oh I could really use a "uniform", i am at a loss every morning as to what to wear...
I may try this....

The Sexy Knitter said...

I know what you mean about feeling like half your wardrobe is suddenly too "young". I turned 30 last year and started realizing that I needed to pass some things on to the next generation! It's always tough parting with clothes, but with a busy schedule, having a go-to uniform would definitely streamline things! Can't wait to see what you come up with for your 15...

Loulou said...

What a great challenge to try. Sounds like you've picked some good items. Just like what I would pick in fact.

Hilary said...

I've always wanted to do something like this so am excited to hear how it goes! I'm also on a quest to find a "uniform" for myself, especially with all the life changes we have going on around here. Anyway, I hope you have fun with this!!

Teresa said...

Well done! This sounds like a fun project. I want to play too (hopefully soon. My summertime wardrobe is a lot more manageable than the autumn/winter).

Nicole said...

I have also turned 35 and can see a change in what I choose to wear. Lots of jeans and shirts, no more T-Shirts. And I try to stick to tailored items, as I am big and curvy and they create the illusion of slimness.

Little Miss Know-it-all said...

Do you know Jennifer Scott at Madame Chic? Check her out, she is also a young mom and has impeccable style with few well-chosen items and I'd say her style is similar to yours... :)