Friday 15 March 2013

A WIP About to Be Frogged

I've had a skein of Queensland Haze in my stash for a while, and I thought with the impending warm weather, now would be nice to knit myself a little something with it.I thought that Arbutus would be perfect:


But sadly, the yarn isn't the right fit for this pattern, which definitely needs the spring of merino rather than the drape of cotton to make this most of this clever pattern. So I've decided to cast on for Pei, a pattern I've really admired. Even though I can't find a single FO that is done on cotton.

So we'll see how it works out... although I've already hit a snag.  I was using my Denise 2Go interchangeable, and the broke right where it connects to the cable. I'm not a tight knitter, either! Very disappointed, since I've had the set less than 3 months and expected it to last longer than this. I guess my initial enthusiasm for the set was a bit premature.

9 comments:

A Baby's Smile Knits said...

Pei is such a beautiful pattern, can't wait to see the FO.

That has got to be one of the things I fear the most ... my interchangeables breaking. Thankfully so far all has been good, though they did come apart because I didn't twist them tight enough but can't blame user error on the needles.

Monica said...

I have yet to invest in a set of interchangeables, but what a nightmare! I knit PEI a couple of months ago, and it's a beautiful pattern! I used Swan's island merino, but cotton sounds like a great idea, i am sure it'll work.

Unknown said...

The same thing happened to my Denise needles too. They were very good about sending me free replacements, but my go-to interchangeables are still Boye and Knit Picks options.

Sylvia said...

denise interchangeable are not the best ones on the market but I do have to say they have amazing customer services. If you're in the states they will need you to mail back the needles or cables to them for an exchange but once they realized you're in Canada, they just send out replacement cables.

Anonymous said...

I have hiya hiya interchangeables and I'm a tight knitter and they travel to and from the cottage every weekend (not packed well) they've held-up great!

LuAnn said...

Pei is a beautiful, thank you for sharing.
Give your Denise another try. I have the big set that never leaves my knitting bag. Although the case is almost empty because I have too many projoctes going on at one time. I can't imagine life without them. I've also heard their customer service is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I had the same trouble with the knitpicks options, and it happened the first time I cast on. I think it's just kind of a gamble with the interchangeable needles :\

Hilary said...

Ugh, that's so frustrating about the needles! And just after you'd decided to frog something....that (often) happens to me, too, and I feel like my knitting is cursed! But Pei looks like a wonderful choice for that gorgeous yarn!

Chiro Jenn said...

Sad that this yarn won't work for Arbutus but hope another fits the bill soon. To say Arbutus is just about my favorite pattern is an understatement. I've made oh.... about 7 so far!!!!