Monday 8 October 2012

Modification Monday: Homestead Rucksack


Original Pattern: Homestead

Knitter Extraordinaire: Cassidy (Ravelry ID)

Mods: Transformed the original sweater design into a backback, using the charts as a starting point. Two panel construction with garter strip to connect and picked up ribbing with holes for the drawstring. Project page with more details can be found here.

What Makes This Awesome: This is an incredibly imaginative modification, as it really is only using the charts for inspiration on the panels, and otherwise inventing the rest of the construction. The garter strip that connects the front and back is perfectly done in the two colours, and the ribbing and straps look perfectly at home with this design. Cassidy is actually working on the pattern for the backpack, which I really look forward to! I'd love to be going back to school with such an amazing bag like this.


7 comments:

Hev said...

Oh my goodness, this is so clever. I love what she did with the pattern. Thanks, Julie for selecting it. I can't wait until the pattern comes out. I may even try to create it myself. Thanks again.

Katy said...

This is gorgeous :)

knitalatte said...

Great Idea and I love the colors for this backpack.
Very Cute.

Blonde said...

This is such a great idea, now besides making hats, scarves and mittens, I can see myself making a different backpack to go with every sweater! ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a freaking genius idea this is! It's absolutely creative and beautiful. I will totally have to try this out sometime!

Jacey said...

I LOVE this!! And I have a friend that would adore a knit backpack.

Teresa said...

I really dig this! I've always had a thing for this type of intarsia, but haven't ever got around to knitting it up in a sweater. Perhaps a back pack is a better way to tackle it!