Sunday 3 April 2011

KCBW: The Last Two Days


Day 6: "Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft?"

When I knit the ducky baby blanket for a friend's new baby, I thought it would be really cute to knit  these booties:
 (photo shamelessly filched from the pattern)


So I bought some pretty yellow merino, got my needles ready, printed out the pattern and started. I really should've read the pattern thoroughly before beginning, because if I had, I would have known that this was absolutely chock full of techniques I'd never used before. I don't know Judy's magic cast on, I don't know Turkish cast on (despite actually having lived in Turkey, so obviously I felt like a total dummy), and the part about the applied i cord with the crochet hook... I put the yarn down and the needles back in the drawer. If I was going to attempt a project with all sorts of new techniques, I was definitely not giving it away as a gift. I do really want to try knitting these one day, but it'll be for my own little one, so I can put them on her/him every single day and enjoy looking at them!

Day 7:"Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter."

I knit everywhere- home,transit, in public, wherever. Let me tell you. (With apologies to Dr. Suess)

Would you knit, here or there?
I do knit, here or there.
I like to knit everywhere!
Would you knit in a house?
Would you knit with a mouse?

I do knit in a house.
I would knit with a mouse.
I do knit here or there,
I like to knit everywhere.
Would you knit little socks?
Would you knit them with a fox?

Yes to socks!
And sure, with a fox!
I do knit in a house.
I would knit with a mouse.
I do knit here or there,
I like to knit everywhere.

Would you? Could you? in a car?
Knit sweaters, hats, and scarves?

I would and do knit in a car,
sweaters, hats, mitts and scarves!

You might like to knit in a tree?
In a tree?
Absolutely!
I'll knit socks, with a fox.
I do knit in a house.
I would knit with a mouse.
I do knit here or there,
I like to knit everywhere.
A train! A train!
Could you, would you
on a train?
Heck yes on a train! And in a tree!
And in the car- you will see!
I'll knit socks, with a fox.
I do knit in a house.
I would knit with a mouse.
I do knit here or there,
I like to knit everywhere.
Say!In the dark?
Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?

Absolutely, in the dark!
in the car at night, I use a book light!
Would you, could you,
in the rain?
Well, probably not in the rain, 
that would be a major pain.
But I would in the dark, and on a train, 
in a car, and in a tree. 
I'm crazy about knitting, can't you see?
I knit in the house, I like to knit socks,
I knit in the house, with yarns that rock. 
I will knit here or there-
I knit absolutely everywhere!
Could you, would you,
with a goat?

Their fleece I love-
those cashmere goats!
Would you, could you,
on a boat?
I would indeed, on a boat.
with the yarn from cashmere goats!
I would in the dark, and on a train, 
in a car, and in a tree. 
I'm crazy about knitting, can't you see?
I knit in the house, I like to knit socks,
I knit in the house, with yarns that rock. 
I will knit here or there-
I knit absolutely everywhere!

20 comments:

kingshearte said...

Hee hee. Thanks for the morning giggle.

CelticCastOn said...

GAH!! You MUST try judy's magic cast on, like TODAY! Do it a few times and you'll never look back! Search Cat Bordhi's video of it on you tube.
The applied i cord is sooooo easy and makes a garment look nice and polished!

katherinelynn_04 said...

Love you poem, Julie. Very cute!

Teresa said...

I'm glad for your warning, because I wanted to make these as well (and all those techniques are new to me too!)

Kristen Rettig said...

I haven't seen those little duck booties, how perfect for Easter. And thank you for your v. of Dr. Suess, so funny.

Michele Saunders said...

So now I know how you get all of those FO's done! Cute poem! My son loves that book - I read it to him all the time! :-)

GB said...

LOVE the poem!

Voie de Vie said...

Dr. Seuss would be mighty proud! Thanks for the smile (and sorry about those booties).

Katie said...

Cute! I too knit everywhere. And those booties! Too cute!

nursenikkiknits said...

Your poem made my day. Love it... and it's so true!

juicyknits said...

Judy's magic cast on is a must. Really. It is sooo easy and if you knit socks toe up, you will never want to do any other cast on but this. Trust me and others. :)

Caffeine Girl said...

LOL! Very clever!

A Playful Day said...

*giggle*

Anonymous said...

you are ridiculous, and i thoroughly approve and love it!

jennifer said...

Hahaha! So cute.

Jacey said...

Oh, you are hilarious. Love the poem, and those booties? The cuteness is too much.

Alexandra said...

I love your poem! :D

Kristi ~ ArtSea said...

You crack me up! I LOVE those booties! And your poem totally rocks my socks! Well done, I tip my knit hat to you!

autumngeisha said...

The poem was definitely Dr. Suess-worthy. In fact, my little guy who is the ultimate critic loved your version and wants to add it to his bedtime book list.

Nik said...

Awesome pattern in the new Knitty. It's very cute.