Monday 18 October 2010

Modification Moday: Cable Scarf



Original Pattern: Last Minute Waves of Grace Scarf

Knitter Extraordinaire: Laurence (Rav ID)

Mods: Cast on more stitches for a wider scarf, and altered the row count and cable needle stitches to produce a thicker, more cable-y scarf. Details are on her project page.

What Makes This Awesome: Luscious. Thick. Cables. I'm pretty sure those three words say it all, but I'll elaborate- these cables are perfect. Not a done-to-death cable that we've all seen a million times, these cables are like thick plaits, and the cream coloured yarn just makes them really stand out in all their cable-y glory. This is the the kind of cozy, gorgeous scarf that instantly updates any old coat, instantly adds extra warmth and comfort, and instantly ups the chic of any winter coat ensemble. It's so perfect, I'm wishing that I had a clear moment in my knitting schedule lately to cast on for this immediately, because it looks like it's a dream to wear. Sigh. One day, cable scarf. You will be mine!


10 comments:

Sarah said...

Oo, that does look luxurious. I just started my first-ever cable project and I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy it is.

Chrissy said...

I love it! It looks gorgeous! I started my first cable project recently as well! And, it's really not that hard!

Nat at Made in Home said...

That is So lovely and looks like a great idea now that the weather is really cold. I can see myself knitting this in mirasol sulka...

Hilary said...

Wow, that is *really* beautiful. Want want want!!

Unknown said...

what a gorgeous scarf! i would love to knit this.

Dawn said...

Wow, what wonderful modifications. All the modifications examples you post really inspire me. Keep them coming!

Candice said...

You are becoming a major source for my knitting adventures. Thank you for hunting down and seeking out patterns and modifications that strike a chord with me.

flyngmunky said...

OMG! this is just beautiful. i think i'm going to have to cast one on. i LOVE your blog.

Teresa said...

This piece looks like you're wrapping your neck in a purty cloud! I love it :)

Leah said...

I love this scarf! I am casting on...now. I was wondering how many repeats of the pattern were done on the scarf in the picture. I'm still just learning knitting but I can't wait to try this. Thanks!