Monday 26 July 2010

Modification Mondays: Tweed Cloche



Original Pattern: Caroline

Knitter Extraordinaire: Arlette (Rav ID, Blog)

Mods: Although she thought she got gauge, her hat turned out waaay too big. Being an intrepid knitter, she figured felting it would help- but the double-thickness hem didn't felt as at the same rate as the crown, and the pleats got even more out of proportion. So, she created a little rosette on the side of the hat with the pleats, and turned what was going to be an FO fail into a gorgeous, flattering, compliment-fetching hat.


What Makes This Awesome: The finished result is so lovely, I had no idea that it wasn't her intention to knit the hat exactly as it turned out!  Arlette transformed what could have been a knit disaster for many of us into what is easily the prettiest hat I've seen in a while. I love her version! Project page, including details on how she did the rosette, is here.



7 comments:

juicyknits said...

Awesome. This hat has been in my queue for quite a while. I'm considering including her mods.

Jacey said...

Sometimes, mistakes are a good thing! This is a darling hat.

Nat at Made in Home said...

I love the rosette. Very clever! graf

Hilary said...

That is SO cute! In fact, I think she should write that up as her own pattern! I also love how she didn't give up until she found the perfect fix.

Erron Rose said...

It is so much better this way.

Anonymous said...

oh , I love it! That girl is darn clever...

Teresa said...

That really is so very cute! I love it!