Monday 12 July 2010

Modification Mondays: Red Marjorie



Original Pattern: Marjorie

Knitter Extraordinaire: Alana (Rav ID)

Mods: Knitted it top down, using Barbara Walker's simultaneous set-in sleeve method. Also changed the neckline, eliminated bust darts, and added some length.



What Makes This Awesome: I loooove this pullover. But I completely overlooked the original pattern when it came out, because of the neckline- crew necks make me look short. How short sighted of me! Alana changed up the neckline for a lovely scoop, and knitting it top down allowed her to try it on as she knitted. Plus most top down knits are raglan, so it's great to see her using the set in sleeve. I'm a bit ashamed to say that I have never tried the top down set in sleeve method, and maybe this is the project that will inspire me to branch out my top-down skills!

6 comments:

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

This is such a pretty sweater! I love the look of it, especially the stitching at the bottom!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely sweater1! It made me look at the original pattern in an entirely different way.

soknitpicky said...

I've never tried that sleeve method but I really want to. The original pattern has been on my fav list since it came out. What a great inspiration!

Knit 1 LA said...

Once you make a sweater in this way you forget there's any other... when you get it it's like magic. Love the treatment on the body of this sweater. Nice choice Julie!

Teresa said...

I entirely agree with you about the neckline. This mod is perfect for me!