Wednesday 24 March 2010

FO: Gossamer Stars Scarf


You ever turn around and suddenly realize that two whole weeks have gone by in a flash? Suddenly I looked at my blog and realized that the last 3 posts were all Mod Monday posts!Which I find odd, since I've been knitting loads. oh look- here's a FO!

Pattern: Gossamer Stars Scarf

Yarn: Palette in Iris Heather, 2 skeins


Needles: 4mm/ US 6

Mods: I loved Claudine's mods on this pattern, and followed her lead by casting on only 53 stitches. I love the final result!

I really enjoyed this pattern, it was interesting to knit, and the result is a very pretty scarf  that looks great from both sides.

This scarf is not for me. I don't know who it's for yet. I decided that this year, I wanted to knit several Christmas gifts, and I know myself well enough that if I leave it until the end of the year, it won't happen. So my plan is to knit some pretty things over the year to give away, and then decide closer to Christmas who would most love what. I find that I have so many generous people in my life, and at Christmas (which is especially crippling with an above average quantity of December birthdays, above average branches of family to buy for, and many wonderful friends) I often spend the last two months of the year feeling really upset that I can't feasibly return the generosity and love of the wonderful people on my life. So. I will knit.
Also- want to see a video of an alpaca surfing? Check it out here! I'm not sure if the alpaca is enjoying it that much to be honest, but at least the guy had the decency to put a life jacket on it.

26 comments:

Chantal Boucher said...

light and pretty, i love it. ...and you're good to plan christmas as soon as spring time! good idea though.
nice day!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, pretty! We're doing a strictly homemade Christmas this year. How that translates to all the international gifts I'm not sure.

The Sweatshop of Love said...

I don't think alpacas are born to surf! And I had no idea that a wet alpaca looks like an ostrich.

And very pretty scarf! That will make someone very happy come December for sure.

Crystal said...

Im trying to do the same thing with Christmas gifts. It is hard to give everyone who means something to you a nice handknit item.

Hilary said...

What a beautiful scarf! The color is just gorgeous and it's so light and pretty. Surely, whoever receives it will love it.

Oh my gosh, that alpaca surfing cracked me up. He seemed to be happy just sitting there, but each time he flung himself into the water, he looked completely freaked out. Poor guy!

Anonymous said...

yay for starting on the gift knitting so early! the scarf is lurvly!

claire said...

Oh yes this scarf is so beautiful! I knit since 6 months only so I'm admiring (don't know if it's correct!)...
Your plan for Christmas is really clever! Very good idea!
Thanks for your visit Julie!

weezalana said...

Very pretty!

That sounds like an excellent gift knitting plan. I always think I should do that, then futz out and wind up feverishly knitting several items the week before Christmas and losing my mojo come January.

erica-knits said...

Oh, it turned out so beautiful! I mean, I had faith in the magic of blocking, but wow! Lovely. I think your plan to knit Christmas gifts earlier this year is a good one.

That video made me smile. It's quite insane but kind of amazing that the alpaca actually tries to stand up. I feel for it every time it falls in!

Kara said...

Whoever ends up getting this is very lucky! I especially love the edges.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Great job.

Anonymous said...

Very Nice! I like your idea about Christmas knitting, sounds like a good plan.

Michele Saunders said...

Lovely scarf in a lovely color! You are going to be all set when the holidays come along.

jennifer said...

OK...
1) GAAAH! Bloglines hasn't been telling me about your new posts lately! That'll teach me not to think for myself. Well, I have some catching up to do!
2) I need to follow your example. I have the same horrible feeling at the end of the year, and it really can be an easy fix.
3) Lovely scarf! Isn't the Iris Heather great? I have some in my stash...looking forward to using it!
4) That alpaca's ears being down like that, he reminds me of a grumpy cat.

Skein said...

Its amazing how time flies:)
Beautiful spring scarf, gorgeous yarn!

kokopuff said...

I'm on a similar knitting mission this year! Normally I am a curmudgeon with my knitting as I've been burned by kniting for people who don't really appreciate it, so now I am very careful about who I give precious knitting to!

The scarf is lovely; I'm inspired!

NJ said...

That is so pretty. I have some yarn I've been waiting to make into a scarf...this may be the one!

Maryse said...

It's lovely and will make a beautiful gift! Great idea!

Valérie said...

So dainty and delicate - perfect for spring!
Also, how STINKY must that alpaca be!!! Blocking alpaca makes me swoon from the smell, I can't imagine a drenched animal :)

Sarah said...

That is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

How pretty! The color is so soft and the edging is really gorgeous. Good idea on beginning to Christmas knit early, too!

yoel said...

So pretty! And it looks like a great gift-knit--fits all sizes. Kudos to you for getting started on the holiday knitting early!

Sandy said...

The scarf is beautiful! And I *love* the surfing alpaca :)

Grace said...

Beautiful... and so smart to start on gifts now! I am always at it at the last minute and it's so stressful. I think you've inspired me to start some holiday knitting early ;)

Alice @ http://kathrynivy.com

Rima said...

You have a winner! It is beautiful!

soknitpicky said...

The scarf is beautiful. What a lucky recipient.

And OMG, that video is so funny/freaky