Monday 26 October 2009

Modification Mondays: White Cowl Neck



Original Pattern: Rusted Root

Knitter Extraordinaire: Katie (Rav id, blog)

Mods: Oh, where to begin!! Began with the basic stitch count and body fit on Rusted Root, and set out to create a sweater inspired by Cameron Diaz's sweater in the film The Holiday:

 Katie took the combination of the beautiful dark brown sleeve buttons against the creamy white and set out to make a stunning, I-wish-I-owned-this-too sweater:

She added long sleeves, added buttons and a lovely cowl neck. That cowl neck is gorgeous- makes it even better than the sweater that inspired the knit in the first place! Project page is here.

What Makes this Awesome: If I saw this sweater in a store, I'd buy it. This looks like the kind very wearable, dressy or casual sort of sweater that would like good on practically everyone. If you find a pattern that you love and fits you  perfectly, you can modify it endlessly to produce vastly different, yet very wearable, garments. This beautiful sweater doesn't look like rusted root at all, yet is based on that pattern.  Which makes me realize something (isn't it awesome when someone else's knitting makes you realize something about your own knitting?!): I have yet to find my perfect pattern, like Katie's Rusted Root.I would love to do this, but haven't' quite found my perfect base pattern yet. Let the search for the holy knitting grail continue!!

15 comments:

Erin Kate said...

Beautiful sweater! Fit for a winter wonderland.

Maryse said...

Wow! I would not have recognized Rusted Root either! What a transformation! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am off to check out the Ravelry page next. What an amazing sweater!!!

I'd have thought that - depending on the gauge you are after - Francis Revisited, the Tree Jacket, FLS, Ingenue as well as the new Lightweight Pullover would be ideal bases to start with.

Unknown said...

I love this sweater, and I agree, it's even better than the inspiration! I'm officially beginning the search for my perfect sweater base to re-interpret into tons of perfectly flattering sweaters!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like that!

Allyson said...

You are so right when you say this sweater looks so wearable! I love it and it would go great with any pant, any skirt. Dressed up or down. And I love those sleeves!

Gabrielle said...

Totally agree, what a fab sweater. In fact, I far prefer the cowl neck to the neck on the sweater worn by Cameron Diaz.

Also I would never have thought that the original pattern was used as its base...

...hmm, must start scouring Ravelry pattern database from a new perspective!

Hilary said...

I follow Katie's blog and remember well when she made this...because I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since! Just yesterday I was wondering if I could justify making on with all the Christmas knitting that has to start soon. What to do?!

weezalana said...

Wow, that is GORGEOUS! I never would have guessed that was based on Rusted Root!

P.S. Do you have Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top? I say create your own base pattern! :)

Philigry said...

you guys are awesome. thanks so much for the lovely post!
good luck on that perfect knitting pattern. keep me posted!

alittlebitofscrap said...

Very pretty and I like your alterations. The cowl is more stunning than the Cameron pullover. :)

Pam said...

This is such a great sweater! I haven't found my perfect sweater either, but I am getting a little better at using what I've made or own to think through how a new project will actually turn out.

erngrn said...

oops! the store is www.duonyc.com

sweater is adorable!

Teresa said...

I agree - it's totally wearable! Love her take on it.

Renee said...

Katie is so talented! Gorgeous sweater, she really transformed it beautifully.