Wednesday 8 October 2008

FO: Raglan Pullover

I should have finished the sweater ages ago, but then I got a Wii..... and then a week later, a Wii fit..... and suddenly there was a lot of Wii but not so much knitting going on. But I got there in the end. Pattern: Opulent Raglan, from Knitscene Fall 2008. Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, 4 skeins Size: 34" Needles: 4 mm circulars Mods: I eliminated the ruffle on the sleeves and instead opted for a 1" of ribbing around the cuffs and the hem. Notes: I wasn't getting gauge, so I made the 34" bust (one side up from my usual size). Even with this, the sleeves were too tight, and I had to rip them back and eliminate the decreases. They are still snug, but not uncomfortably so. I should note that in the photos, the sleeve cuffs look like they are rolling, but they don't normally. I was wearing this all day, and since it hits right at my elbows, they got folded up all day. I really loved this pattern. Top-down raglans are awesome, I love the simple style of this sweater, with the delicious cable details. It's the kind of sweater I would buy. A moment to vent, if you would be so kind... There are so many patterns in the Fall 2008 Knitscene that I love, but so few of them have patterns written for smaller sizes, and it's really disheartening to try to recalculate for 6" or more difference in the bust. I know that more fuller figured gals have often been disappointed by not having patterns with large enough pattern sizing, so I really wish there was some standardization on this. I think it would be perfectly resonable for knitting magazines to provide patterns in established size ranges, geared towards their readers. There. Rant over! I originally wanted to do an outdoor shot for this sweater, but it's been too chilly. The bookstore was an excellent solution, but I did get a little distracted:This book makes me want to up my crochet skills, stat!

27 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous!! It fits you fabulously and that cable down the front is awesome! Honestly, it looks like something from a high-end shop.

I also love the new look of the blog -- very sleek and modern.

Anonymous said...

It looks great, nice work! The purple color seems so rich and velvety, even though I know Silky Wool feels a little dry/crunchy.

Susan said...

That came out great! I love how it has a long, sleek look to it.

Diggin' the new design of Team Knit, too.

Teresa said...

I really like the sweater! The colour is so luscious.
I understand the woes of sizing. This is why I tend not to knit from patterns, and make up my own instead! There has been a few lovely knits that I've not worked on simply because I was too lazy to resize.

Anonymous said...

That sweater is HOT!

Farrah said...

I absolutely love this pullover! I have it in my queue and had the same mods planned. Yours looks just so luscious in the purple and fits you like a glove. I have a feeling that you're going to get tons and tons of use out of this one!

erngrn said...

super cute sweater.
i love the color you chose!!

Anonymous said...

That sweater is so cute! Fits you like a glove.

Ella said...

Mmm. Purpley. Love the contours - and the color! Very very nice.

petra said...

Amazing! Great job with the modifications! I've heard wonderful things about silky wool, but now I'm going to have to try it!

jennifer said...

Gorgeous! What a great colour on you! I laughed out loud picturing you getting Wii and detracting completely from your knitting. I've so been there, minus the cool video games. The end result is lovely. Love the new layout too!

yoel said...

Love it! It fits you really well, and the yarn cabled up so nice and poofy looking!

Anonymous said...

Fantastically gorgeous.

Team Knit said...

Jesus, Jules. It looks great. I'm going to have to try it on next time I'm over because I would really wear this.Did you use all of the four skeins? (fb. me)

xo
jsun

Anonymous said...

Beautiful--I absolutely love that shade of the silky wool.

I'm also going to echo your rant on the lack of sizing on the smaller side of things. The other problem I have is that because I have a small frame a lot of patterns look a lot better with negative ease; when the pattern sizes start at a 36 or 38 bust I'm usually SOL unless I do some major gauge calculations!

Sophie said...

Love this sweater ! The color is gorgeous and the cables, yummy, I love cables !!!

Very neat new blog look BTW

Sophie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater! Love the color! But it is hard to figure out if the sweater is making your bod hot or if it is the other way around ;) anyway, good going!

Erin said...

I said it on ravelry and I will say it again here. I LOVE your version of this sweater.

funsize said...

wow! Hawt!

Anonymous said...

It's beatiful on you and it fits so well! I wish I'd bought the magazine, but if we're lucky it'll be released in the Knitting Daily store some day. :)

And 4 skeins of Silky Wool sounds manageable.... But anyway: stunning!

Anonymous said...

You look really great in that sweater! I need to go find that pattern and queue it.. Heh.

Knit - R - Done said...

Lovely as always. Hurray for the return of sweater weather.

Pam said...

REally beautiful sweater -- I love purple!

lekkercraft said...

It turned out great. And fast! The yarn looks perfect for the sweater. Now that one's totally on my radar, too...

Susan said...

Wowza!
Beautiful fit & color. I keep seeing these gorgeous purpley knits popping up on Ravelry. Just stunning!!!

NJ said...

Your version of this sweater is awesome. Much more beautiful than the picture from the magazine. I just have to make one for my daughter now. I sent her a link to your blog and she loved it to. I also love the top down raglan's. Well really I've only made one which was the "wicked" sweater from Zephyr .com. But I loved how I didn't have to do seams.

tss said...

its gorgeous and the fit is perfect! what was the row & stitch gauge you were getting with the silky wool? how many inches of negative ease did you have? sorry for all the questions...i think im about your size and want to get the fit just the right. Thanks!!